Scott Bender joined Axene Health Partners, LLC in 2003 as one of its first employees with more than 15 years of actuarial experience. Prior to joining AHP, he was a consultant with Ernst & Young’s Health Actuarial practice. Prior to this, he worked with PacifiCare’s Life and Health Insurance Company and Wellpoint. Scott is based in Orange County, California.
He has worked with a variety of health organizations including:
- Health plans: HMOs, PPOs, managed care plans, BlueCross Blue Shield plans, insurance companies, etc.
- Healthcare providers: hospitals, medical groups, ancillary providers, etc.
- Various governments and government programs: federal, state and local, international, Medicare, Medicaid, CHAMPUS, social systems
- Employer health benefit plan sponsors
- Healthcare technology companies
- Medical device and technology suppliers, etc.
Some examples of projects Scott has worked on include:
- Valuation of Incurred But Not Reported (IBNR) claim liabilities for insurance companies, HMO’s and large employers and development, implementation and maintenance of valuation software
- Financial forecasting and modeling across various business and funding types
- Pricing and product development for medical and dental insurance products including PPO/Indemnity, HMO, Point-of-Service and Medicare Supplement products for Individual, Legislated Small Group, Large Group, Senior and Federal (FEP and FEHBP) markets
- Development, implementation and maintenance of appropriate pricing structures, performing manual rate studies and development and maintenance of pricing software across many lines of business
- Underwriting training and support for large/complex accounts and proposals
Scott holds a Bachelor of Science in mathematics (with honors) from Portland State University in Portland, Oregon.