Joe Slater is partner at Axene Health Partners, LLC. He is a strategic thinker and helps guide the firm in recognizing new challenges and finding ways to provide results for AHP clients.
In his nearly 20 years of health actuarial experience, Joe focused his work in primarily two areas: The first is traditional health actuarial work such as commercial rate development, pricing strategy, ACA rate filings, Long Term Care reserves, medical and prescription drug IBNR estimation, and financial statement preparation. The second is extensive work on health system-focused activities such as provider contract negotiations, medical economics, cost of care analysis, health care cost trend analysis, cost model development, and assessment of ROI for various care management initiatives.
Prior to rejoining AHP, Joe spent eight years with Anthem leading their Large Group Enterprise Pricing team. While at Anthem/WellPoint, he had multiple roles in their actuarial department including:
- Subject matter expert for their Balanced Funding (i.e., level funding) Product
- Project lead for Anthem’s efforts to determine the impact of the migration of groups with 51-99 enrollees to small group ACA compliant plans
- Developer of Anthem’s Enterprise cost of care trend driver report
- Lead of Anthem’s Provider Engagement and Contracting Actuarial team in Virginia
- Designer of multiple actuarial models to estimate the impact of the initial provisions of the ACA on cost of care trends for all of Anthem’s group business between 2010 and 2013
Joe is an active presenter at Society of Actuaries sponsored meetings and webcasts. He has written multiple articles on level funding, ACA rate filings, and health care reform that have been published by the Society of Actuaries.
Joe earned a Bachelor of Science in industrial engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology. He obtained his Fellow of the Society of Actuaries in 2007. He became a Member of the American Academy of Actuaries in 2006.
He is based in the Charlotte, NC office. Joe is married and resides in Charlotte with his wife and three children.