Zachary Westphal, ASA, MAAA
Zach Westphal is an actuary with Axene Health Partners, LLC and works out of the Temecula, California headquarters. Clients benefit from his expertise with SQL, SAS, and VBA. He works on a variety of client assignments as support to senior AHP actuaries and consultants.
Projects include the following:
- Health plans: HMOs, PPOs, managed care plans, BlueCross Blue Shield plans, insurance companies, etc.
- Healthcare providers: hospitals, medical groups, ancillary providers, etc.
- Health care innovators: organizations provide unique resources to improve the quality and efficiency of today’s health care system
- Various governments and government programs: federal, state and local, international, Medicare, Medicaid, CHAMPUS, social systems
- Brokers and employer health benefit plan sponsors
- Medical device and technology suppliers, etc.
Zach previously worked with Anthem (Amerigroup) in Virginia Beach, Virginia in the valuation area where he was responsible for establishing appropriate claims liabilities for multiple markets. He also worked on the integration team following the acquisition of the company by Anthem.
Examples of projects Zach worked on are:
- Cost of care analysis
- Analysis for provider negotiations based on capitation rates
- Competitive assessment of hospital and physician contracts
- Claim liability estimation for health plans and insurance companies
- Financial statement preparation
- Health care benchmarking
Zach earned a Bachelor of Science in mathematics (actuarial science) from the University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire.